Not long ago I posted Favourite WWI Novels – A Teaser, which included just a few of the novels readers mentioned in a survey of WWI fiction. I’ve now tabulated all 296 responses (over 600 books cited) to discover that readers mentioned 223 different books!
Drumroll please … the top six books are:
- All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (43 mentions)
- Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (42)
- Regeneration trilogy by Pat Barker (36)
- Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear (29)
- Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (23)
- A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway (19)
In addition, Charles Todd’s various novels from the Ian Rutledge and Bess Crawford series were mentioned 29 times.
After A Farewell to Arms, numbers fall off to 9 mentions for each of Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain, Rilla of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery and War Horse by Michael Morpurgo.
When time permits, I’ll publish a complete list of novels recommended by readers.
FOR MORE ON READING & WRITING HISTORICAL FICTION follow A WRITER OF HISTORY (using the widget on the left sidebar)
M.K. Tod writes historical fiction. Her latest novel, TIME AND REGRET was published by Lake Union. Mary’s other novels, LIES TOLD IN SILENCE and UNRAVELLED are available from Amazon, Nook, Kobo, Google Play and iTunes. She can be contacted on Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads or on her website www.mktod.com.