2018 Reader Survey, age affects reading habits, favourite fiction genres, fiction survey, gender affects reading, gender affects reading habits, how social media supports reading, print books versus e-books, readers on reading, reading habits, social media and reading, what do readers read, what do readers want, where do readers get book recommendations, where do readers purchase their books, why readers read, why readers read stories
This year’s survey report is now available. It’s taken me quite some time to compile the results because … as you know I spent the last five weeks recovering from a plane crash.
The survey attracted 2418 participants from around the world – 84% female and 16% male.
A few highlights to whet your appetite.
- AS IN PRIOR YEARS, THE SURVEY ATTRACTED HIGH VOLUME READERS– 72% read more than 20 books a year; 55% read more than 30
- 49% of participants USE SOCIAL MEDIA REGULARLY TO SUPPORT THEIR READING
- GENDER MAKES A DIFFERENCE– among the differences—women read more than men and use social media more regularly in support of reading; men and women prefer different types of stories and different non-fiction
- PRINT BOOKS REMAIN POPULAR– Of 2418 participants, 75% frequently or exclusively use print books
- Not surprisingly, ENTERTAINMENT IS THE DOMINANT REASON FOR READING FICTION
- Readers say that FEELING IMMERSED IN THE NOVEL’S WORLDis the most important factor for their reading
- THE TOP TWO FACTORS when choosing a book are SUBJECT MATTERand GENRE
- AGE MAKES A DIFFERENCE – among the differences – interest in fantasy decreases with age; the highest use of phone-based e-readers is for those between 30 and 50
- FRIENDS ARE THE TOP SOURCE FOR BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS– chosen by 61% of participants when asked for their top three sources
- For reading purposes, CONNECTING WITH THE AUTHOR OF A BOOK is the social media functionality most valued by participants
Click HERE for the full report.
FOR MORE ON READING & WRITING HISTORICAL FICTION FOLLOW A WRITER OF HISTORY (using the widget on the left sidebar)
M.K. Tod writes historical fiction. Her latest novel, TIME AND REGRET was published by Lake Union. Mary’s other novels, LIES TOLD IN SILENCE and UNRAVELLED are available from Amazon, Nook, Kobo, Google Play and iTunes. She can be contacted on Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads or on her website www.mktod.com.