I’ve dug into responses from readers on the topic of why they are reading more or less than in the past. A little over 1000 people chose to comment on the topic. So here’s the original chart and a new chart showing reasons.
Are you reading more or fewer books than in the past:
Reasons for a change in reading habits:
By way of explanation (start at the top of chart and work clockwise):
- Book Club – a number of readers said they are reading more because they’ve joined a book club.
- E-books are easier – many readers are reading more because of e-readers AND audio books. A number of readers say they love audio books because they can read while doing something else.
- Fewer good books – some read less because they find fewer good books to choose from
- Life changes – sadly, some of these are readers are experiencing health problems that prevent them from reading as much as they did in the past.
- More social media – these are readers who are spending time on social media instead of reading books.
- More time/Retirement – relatively self explanatory except to say that many readers have more time because their children are getting older 🙂
- Other options – these are readers who mentioned doing other activities that have displaced reading in the way they spend their time.
- Review books – a number of readers are reviewing books and/or have started their own book blog and hence are reading more.
- SM gives ideas – some readers mentioned social media facilitates reading as a source of book related information and recommendations
- Too busy – many readers cite jobs and young children as a reason their reading is less than in the past
I don’t think there are too many surprises here although it’s interesting to see them categorized.
FOR MORE ON READING & WRITING HISTORICAL FICTION FOLLOW A WRITER OF HISTORY (using the widget on the left sidebar)
M.K. Tod writes historical fiction. Her latest novel, TIME AND REGRET was published by Lake Union. Mary’s other novels, LIES TOLD IN SILENCE and UNRAVELLED are available from Amazon, Nook, Kobo, Google Play and iTunes. She can be contacted on Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads or on her website www.mktod.com.