Monday night was planning night at the Toronto book club where I’ve been a member for at least fifteen years. We have a tried and true process of nominating books, then gathering with suitable refreshments to discuss, debate and then vote for our preferences. The list included 18 possibilities and with only 9 meetings we had to trim it in half.
After a little more than hour, we came up with the following list and treated ourselves to another glass of wine.
- Clementine: The Life of Mrs. Winston Churchill by Sonia Purnell – a biography of Clementine Churchill
- Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie – a story of love and race centred around a young man and woman from Nigeria
- Submission by Amy Waldman – an anonymous architect creates a winning design for the 9/11 memorial and the discovery that he is Muslim has all sorts of consequences
- In the Skin of a Lion by Michael Ondaatje – a love story set in 1920s Toronto by the acclaimed author of The English Patient
- The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin – a book store owner finds renewed meaning in his life
- Outline by Rachel Cusk – a woman writer goes to Athens in the height of summer to teach a writing course
- Paris Reborn by Stephane Kirkland – the rebuilding of Paris during the time of Napoleon III and Baron Haussmann (my recommendation :-))
- Stalin’s Daughter by Rosemary Sullivan – a biography of Svetlana Stalin’s tragic life
- Red Notice: A True Story of High Finance, Murder and One Man’s Fight for Justice by Bill Browder – a gripping story of life and corruption at the highest levels of Russian government
It promises to be an eclectic and intriguing season of reading with several of historical interest!
What’s your book club reading?
FOR MORE ON READING & WRITING HISTORICAL FICTION follow A WRITER OF HISTORY (using the widget on the left sidebar)
Mary’s other novels, LIES TOLD IN SILENCE and UNRAVELLED are available from Amazon, Nook, Kobo, Google Play and iTunes. She can be contacted on Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads or on her website www.mktod.com.