Alison Weir, Anya Seton, Bernard Cornwell, best historical fiction, C.J. Sansom, Colleen McCullough, Conn Iggulden, Diana Gabaldon, Doroth Dunnett, Edward Rutherfurd, Elizabeth Chadwick, Ellis Peters, favourite authors, favourite historical fiction authors, Georgette Heyer, Hilary Mantel, James Michener, Jean Auel, Ken Follett, Margaret George, Mary Renault, Patrick O'Brian, Philippa GRegory, popular historical fiction, popular historical fiction authors, Sharon Kay Penman, Susanna Kearsley, top authors of historical fiction
No doubt you were anxiously waiting for the 2015 favourite historical fiction authors list. First, an apology. Since publishing 2015’s favourite fiction list, I’ve been heads down finishing Time & Regret and only surfaced a few weeks ago. Fortunately, compiling the numbers was not as arduous this time.
- the top 5 remain the top 5 three years in a row. Kudos to Diana Gabaldon, Sharon Kay Penman, Philippa Gregory, Elizabeth Chadwick and Bernard Cornwell.
- Men and women differ in their top choices. Tabulating male responses exclusively, the top 8 are: Bernard Cornwell, Patrick O’Brian, Conn Iggulden, Sharon Kay Penman, Ken Follett, C.J. Sansom, Hilary Mantel and James Michener.
- Country choices also vary. For example, the top 5 choices in the UK are: Elizabeth Chadwick, Bernard Cornwell, Philippa Gregory, Sharon Kay Penman, and Hilary Mantel. Interesting to see Sharon Kay Penman remain in the top groups across gender and country.
- Authors tend to receive a higher portion of their support from their own country participants. For example, 75% of Diana Gabaldon’s popularity rests in the US.
- Not surprisingly, deceased authors receive more mentions from older participants.
- Every author in these two groups received more than 20 mentions.
One further statistic of interest: over 900 authors were mentioned as favourites. Wow.
FOR MORE ON READING & WRITING HISTORICAL FICTION follow A WRITER OF HISTORY (using the widget on the left sidebar)
M.K. Tod writes historical fiction and blogs about all aspects of the genre at A Writer of History. Her latest novel, LIES TOLD IN SILENCE is set in WWI France and is available from Amazon, Nook, Kobo, Google Play and iTunes. Her debut novel, UNRAVELLED: Two wars. Two affairs. One marriage. is also available from these retailers.